Q:9pm check in from a random internet stranger. Hope you're doing okay <3
Yeah, I’m ok. And I’m not alone now, either, so it’s good. =) Thank you (and others) for checking in on me. It means a lot.
If you’re down, listen to Stray Italian Grayhound on repeat for an hour and think about your OTP.
Then just sit back and let ~emotional transference~ do its thing.
Q:Hey! Just making sure you're doing ok <3
Thanks. I’m ok <3
So, branwyn-says gave me really good advice today (however much my brain had a hard time processing it at the time - thank you for putting up with me) and I’m going to take it.
I’m going to post crappy art for a week (maybe) and not apologize for it. So here are unfinished Katara/Kataang doodles that have all kinds of problems with construction/composition. Hence why they remain unfinished to this day. *shrug*
Q:3, 4, and 16?
3. What’s your current OTP?
Oh man, CECIL/CARLOS from Welcome to Night Vale, obviously! ;D
(More forehead touches. I am utterly unoriginal.)
4. What’s your current NOTP?
Nnnngh. I normally don’t like to talk about NOTPs, because to each their own! Some people juggle geese! Etc!
But Cecil/Earl (WTNV) to me is like:
I just hate stories about people cheating!
And I can’t find it in me to care about OT3s when there isn’t a strong, distinct connection between all 3 characters.
While I understand the “canon OC” thing that Earl is (I shipped Sesshoumaru/Rin! I’m not going to throw stones about taking a blank-slate canon character and making them your own), it simply doesn’t do anything for me. *shrug*
Now, on the other hand, I’m totally down for some Cecil/Earl if we’re talking about exploring Cecil’s character as a teenager!
16. Talk about a ship you initially disliked.
Hmmm! That’s hard! I don’t usually dislike a ship prior to shipping it.
How about, back in the days of Tenchi Muyo I bought into the whole Ayeka vs Ryoko thing? So I felt like because I loved Ryoko the most, I had to ship her ONLY WITH TENCHI. Which is such bunk because, well, Tenchi is the most boring of all!
So now I’m totally into shipping Ayeka and Ryoko together, which is such a relief. I mean, sure, I still ship Ryoko and Tenchi, because you never really stop shipping an OTP. But now that I’m so far away from that late 90’s fandom, it feels more natural to ship the ladies together.
Actually, looking back, I think a lot of what made me uncomfortable about lady pairings back in the day, was that they were largely shipped by dudes. I find little to no pleasure in girl/girl shipping when it’s intended for the consumption of straight males, you get me? But when those stories are in the hands of other ladies (or maybe just out of the hands of straight dudes) they easily become my favorites.
Q:19, 24, 27!
19. Have you ever shipped something despite yourself?
*hangs head in shame*
*ducks and cringes*
I have no defense for it! I don’t even REALLY ship it within canon, but damned if I didn’t read an absolutely TON of fic for it back in like, 2007. *helpless shrug* (I suppose I maybe like redeeming terrible characters if the actors are likable enough????)
24. Do you mostly ship canon pairings?
Generally, if I like a show enough to ship it’s characters, then I’m, y’know, picking up what the writers are putting down. It’s only when I get dissatisfied with a show that I start shipping non-canon pairings. (Example: as Inuyasha drug on and on, I started to enjoy shipping Kagome with Miroku, Sango, Sesshoumaru, heck, HOJO, just for something to do.)
One exception to this rule was that I shipped Korra and Asami like, immediately, despite knowing there was no chance of it ever being canon. T___T
27. Is there a ship you’ve shipped for most of your life?
Heh, well, aside from Miss Piggy/Kermit?
I’ve shipped Han/Leia for as long as I can remember. (And to continue the Harrison Ford note, Indiana Jones/Marion Ravenwood was pretty formative, too.)
As a kid who grew up during the “Disney Renaissance” Belle/Beast and Jasmine/Aladdin were pretty freaking formative, too!
Relatedly, it’s interesting to note that while I adore The Little Mermaid, and it really made me into the person I am (I decided to be an animator, since I couldn’t be a mermaid), I don’t ship it. That is, Ariel and Eric are nice enough as a couple, and I wouldn’t want to pair them with anyone else… but we just don’t have enough about Eric for me to care about hunting down fic about them? Y’know?
Q:1, 20, 22, 23, aaaand 37 c:
1. Talk about the first ship you ever had.
There is one ship that has defined basically my entire shipping life: Miss Piggy and Kermit. I still have the heart-shaped Muppet Babies necklace with both of them that I’ve has SINCE I WAS 3 YEARS OLD. When I say I’ve been a fangirl forever, I’m not really exaggerating. ;D
Miss Piggy/Kermit basically defines one of my favorite shipping dynamics, which I used to define as Fierce Lady/Nice Guy. (See: Katara/Aang, Ryoko/Tenchi, Vash/Meryl, Yoko/Rakushun, etc) When it comes to het couples, I generally prefer ladies who get angry/take action and fellas who just sort of roll with it.
20. Talk about a ship you feel alone in shipping.
Ah! Ok, a while ago this would have been a different answer! I’ve been shipping Yoko/Rakushun and Shoukei/Kantai all by myself since 2004, but now there are suddenly OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE WATCHED 12 KINGDOMS SO I’M NOT ALONE ANYMORE <33333
But, hmmm, I can’t really think of anything MORE rare than Shoukei/Kantai, so I’ll talk about that anyway!
Once, when I was apparently the only English-speaking fan of the ship, back when the anime had just come out, I spent a lot of time trawling Japanese fansites using Babelfish translate (Google translate was not a thing yet, as I recall). I read a fic (that I could only partially understand, to be totally honest) about Kantai being completely impressed with how well Shoukei fit into Yoko’s rather odd-ball palace. But he also noticed that she still shied away from the jewelry and fine clothing. he worried about how she was coping, living in a palace environment again, given all she’d been through, and wanted to talk to her about it, but wasn’t sure it would be appropriate. And then the chapter ended.
I think about that fic a lot, because well. There aren’t many others.
22. Which of your ships have the best chemistry?
23. Which of your ships deserve better writing?
Hoo boy! LOTS.
But honestly, I’m gunna go with Inuyasha/Kagome. I mean, I’m all about canon OTPs, but I shipped the most non-canon stuff in Inuyasha because I just got SO BORED with everything between them in the show. I kept waiting for Inuyasha to… y’know… develop more.
And like, yeah. I’ll still ship it to my dying day, but I can’t pretend I didn’t also dabble in shipping Kagome with literally EVERYONE OTHER THAN INUYASHA along the way.
37. Do you have a favorite trope and/or AU for your OTP?
Bed sharing. Bed sharing! BED SHARING!!!!!
I don’t care if it’s “Blanket Fic” (oh no, sudden terrible weather, we need to take cover for the night in this conveniently small shelter with only one blanket and boy isn’t it getting cold) or “Overbooked Hotel Room” (I just unlocked my hotel room door and there’s a distressingly beautiful someone already in the bed and wouldn’t you know it the city is all booked up for the weekend guess we better make the best of it) I don’t care.
I mean, sure, I love smut too, but I think I love emotional intimacy and non-sexual physical intimacy even more. So pairing the two up is like, a no-brainer. (And if it leads to sexual intimacy, so much the better!) I will never, never get tired of reading about OTPs discovering the comfort of the person they love sleeping next to them: the warmth of their body, the smell of their hair, how their face softens or changes during sleep. NEVER. EVER. OVER IT.
40 Questions - Meme for Shippers
- Talk about the first ship you ever had.
- Talk about three of the most important ships throughout your life.
- What’s your current OTP?
- What’s your current NOTP?
- Do you have any poly ships?
- How do you feel about love triangles?
- How do you feel about RPF?
- Have you ever shipped yourself with a character?
- Do you have many ships that never got together at all?
- Do you ship any characters that have never met?
- Talk about your favorite first kiss.
- Have you ever been disappointed when your ship finally got together?
- Has a ship ever broken your heart?
- How do you feel about will they/won’t they?
- Have you ever “shipped at first sight”?
- Talk about a ship you initially disliked.
- Talk about a pairing you’ve stopped shipping romantically.
- Talk about a moment which made you question an entire ship.
- Have you ever shipped something despite yourself?
- Talk about a ship you feel alone in shipping.
- Is there a ship you just don’t get, but have nothing against?
- Which of your ships have the best chemistry?
- Which of your ships deserve better writing?
- Do you mostly ship canon pairings?
- Have you ever shipped a pairing before you even started watching the show/movie simply because of gifs and graphics or similar?
- Have you noticed a pattern in your shipping? Is there a romantic dynamic you’re more drawn to?
- Is there a ship you’ve shipped for most of your life?
- Does shipping come easily to you?
- Do you need to ship something to really enjoy a movie/book/tv show/comic?
- Name a couple of fandoms in which you have no ships.
- Talk about one of your favorite headcanons for a ship you love.
- Share five must-read fics.
- Name your favorite fanartist(s).
- Share your favorite fanmix for your OTP.
- Recommend 1-5 shipper blogs.
- Do you create fanmixes/gif sets/fanart/fic/fanvids and so on for you ships?
- Do you have a favorite trope and/or AU for your OTP?
- Do you like and use ship names?
- Is there a fictional relationship you’d really want for yourself?
- If you could change one thing about your OTP, what would that be?